Epic has detailed the contents of Fortnite’s 6.20 update, complete with patch notes and it’s quite a substantial one. The big ticket item in today’s update is the launch of «Fortnitemares,» the game’s Halloween-themed event. This coincides with the release of new Halloween skins and challenges, as well as a makeover for the rocket launcher as the Pumpkin Rocket Launcher. [Update: After being disabled due to technical issues, Fortnitemares is back online, and new Week 5 challenges are now available including flaming hoops and radar signs.]
«Explore all of the tasty treats, exciting appearances, and new looks,» Epic Games says about the event. «During Fortnitemares, you’ll face off against Cube Monsters in a whole new way of playing Battle Royale. There are new weapons to fight back against these creepy creatures, like the Six Shooter and Fiend Hunter Crossbow.
«Take out the Cube Fiends and Fragments to pick up loot, and survive against enemy players.» Interestingly, Fortnitemares seems to blur the line between the Battle Royale mode and Save The World mode by giving players zombie-like enemies to fend off.
The other major additions to Fortnite’s Battle Royale mode is the Six Shooter, a new weapon. This uses Medium ammo and can be shot more quickly from the hip, or more slowly (with added precision) by aiming down sights. The aforementioned Fiend Hunter Crossbow is a limited-time item tied to the event.
Also new in Battle Royale is the ability to redeploy Gliders. Epic has said it is currently testing this functionality in all Battle Royale game modes, but only for a limited time. In Playground, there’s a new pirate ship minigame as well as «other fun additions» alongside changes to the Spiky Stadium. Take a look at the full Fortnite update 6.20 patch notes below, courtesy of Epic.
Season 6 of Fortnite has been pretty dark and spooky throughout thanks to the «Darkness Rises» theme. Because of this, many of the new skins and cosmetics are quite creepy, like the Dire Wolf skin that evolves as you level it up. For more Halloween events in video games, check out our Halloween roundup.
The Social List has been completely redesigned. This is the first of many steps toward improving the social experience within Fortnite. Expect more frequent updates and improvements to this experience over the coming weeks.
- The main Social List has received new art, animations, and flow.
- The Social List button has moved to the left side of the screen and can now be directly accessed with a controller.
- Controller and Touch support has been improved.
Party Finder has been removed
- All previous Party Finder functionality has moved to the new Social List.
- Places that used to open Party Finder now open the new Social List.
- The Fortnitemares cinematic video will not play on the Nintendo Switch platform.
Limited Time Event: Fortnitemares
The Cube strikes back, bringing Fortnitemares to Battle Royale! Drop in and discover what the Cube has unleashed.
Cube Fragments spawn Cube Monsters! Drop in and discover the different types.
- Large Cube Fragments are found near corrupted areas of the island.
- Small Cube Fragments are created randomly throughout the match.
- Cube Fiends, Brutes, and Fragments all have a chance to drop loot.
- Defeating a Cube Fiend or Brute will grant a small amount of shield.
Fiend Hunter Crossbow added. Fortnitemare Limited time weapon.
Available in Epic variant.
- 40 base damage
- 1.8 shots per second.
- 4x damage against Fiends
- Seven Arrow magazine size, unlimited ammo.
- Can be found from floor loot, chests and Vending Machines.
- Available in Epic variant.
New Port-A grenades are now available in Vending Machines at the southern edge of Loot Lake. The Port-A-Challenge set includes the Building Challenge, Obstacle Course, and Firing Range minigames. There’s four of each type with varying difficulty.
The Spiky Stadium makes a return with a brand new respawn system and Vending Machines to provide all the necessary grenades. Finally, there’s the Port-A-Pirateship mini-game. This grenade spawns a re-creation of the minigame shown off by SXVXN!
- Collect the tokens and avoid the obstacles while honing your building skills.
- Build the structure as fast as possible.
- Take out as many dummies as you can within the time limit.
- Obstacle Course
Spiky Stadium v2
- Once inside the new Spiky Stadium, players will respawn at designated spawn points inside the playspace.
- Vending machines provide grenades and Traps to allow you to customize your play.
- A re-creation of the minigame shown off by SXVXN.
- Spawns two large wooden Pirate ships.
- The minigame will split players into two teams, with the goal of destroying the other team’s ship.
Port-A-Pirateship Ironclad Edition
- Spawns two large metal Pirate ships.
- Grenades and Rockets are provided for maximum destruction
- New Vending Machines have been added across the map to provide more Traps and weapons.
- A new respawn button has been added to the in-game player menu.
Weapons + Items
Six Shooter added.
Available in Uncommon, Rare and Epic variants.
- 34 / 36 / 38 base damage.
- Shoot from the hip for faster fire rate, or trade rate of fire for precision by aiming down the sight
- Uses Medium Ammo.
- Can be found from floor loot, chests and Vending Machines.
- Available in Uncommon, Rare and Epic variants.
The Rocket Launcher is now the Pumpkin Rocket Launcher.
- This is a visual only change.
Hand Cannon balance changes.
Increased damage to structures.
- Epic — From 79 to 150
- Legendary — From 83 to 157
Increased minimum long-range body shot damage.
- Epic — From 30 to 50
- Legendary — From 31 to 52
Increased minimum long-range head shot damage.
- Epic — From 60 to 100
- Legendary — From 62 to 104
- Increased damage to structures.
- Increased chance to find from floor loot by 0.2%
- Increased chance to find from Chests by 1.7%
The Glider Redeploy functionality that’s available in the Soaring Limited Time Modes can now be used in all game modes. Help us test this feature and let us know what you think.
- When in mid-air and greater than 10m up, press Jump to deploy your glider.
- Weapons now reload upon respawn in modes that keep the player’s inventory.
- Wait time for phase 3 has been reduced from 120 seconds to 90 seconds.
- Wait time for phase 5 has been reduced from 70 seconds to 50 seconds.
- Late game moving circles will now immediately begin traveling to a new location after it reaches its current destination.
- Storm’s maximum damage has been reduced from 10 to 8.
Players will now take 2 damage per second while in the Down But Not Out state instead of 2 damage every 2 seconds.
- Maximum time in the DBNO state reduced from 100 seconds to 50 seconds if no friendly player attempts to revive you.
Removing ability to rocket ride Quad Launcher rockets.
- Fixes streaming issues on low-end iOS devices.
- Added unique sounds when cycling through Traps.
- Removed the in-air audio cue for Gliders that belong to friendly teammates.
- Reduced volume of Dark Viking glider.
- Your name now always appears at the top of your squad list in-game.
- When a Challenge bundle is delayed, it will now display as “Coming Soon” rather than “Unlocking in 0 seconds.”
Chain quests in the Challenge bundles now show the current quest number in the chain over the total number of quests in the chain.
- Example: 1/2, 2/3, etc.
Art + Animation
New variants added to the Musha and Hime Outfits that are part of the Bushido set.
- No Challenges are needed to unlock these variants. If you own the Outfits they will be automatically unlocked.
- Pets no longer get stuck floating in the air after their owner drives a vehicle off a jump.
- Fixed Quadcrasher Jump Trick animation displays.
- Changes in other players’ aim and view directions are now smoother, both in-game and during replays.
- Better handling of larger memory Android devices (6 GB+)
Custom HUD Layout users can now toggle the visibility of buttons across Combat/Build modes.
- Red — Hidden
- Green — Visible
- Blue — Does not affect visibility
Buttons will only be shown when they are relevant to the player, even when set to «visible».
- Example: Buttons shown while holding a weapon will only be shown on screen while a weapon is being held.
The Combat/Build quickbar is now resizeable within Custom HUD Layout.
- This includes extra buttons.
- Players can now edit structures while in combat mode while holding any weapon.
- The first weapon picked now properly equips automatically.