2018 might be over and done with, but we’re not done just yet celebrating the year’s games. The Writers Guild of America has announced the nominees for «Outstanding Achievement In Video Game Writing,» and titles like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, God of War, and Spider-Man made the cut.
The five nominees this year are:
To be eligible, a game must have been released between December 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018, and also feature on-screen writing credits. Additionally, the credited writers must have already been or applied for membership in the WGA Video Game Writers Caucus. This incurs a $100 fee. However, WGA said it also considered games that were not developed «under WGA jurisdiction.»
The winner will be decided by panels made up of Caucus members and others Writers Guild members who are «active in video game writing.» The announcement of the winning title will come during the 2019 Writers Guild Awards on February 17.
Horizon: Zero Dawn took home the award last year, beating out Madden 18, Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow, and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider.
What do you make of the nominees for 2018? Let us know in the comments below!
Outstanding Achievement In Video Game Writing
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey:
- Associate Narrative Directors: Matthew Zagurak, Joel Janisse, James Richard Mittag
- Narrative Director: Melissa MacCoubrey
- Story by: Jonathan Dumont, Melissa MacCoubrey, Hugo Giard
- Scriptwriters: Madeleine Hart, Betty Robertson, Jesse Scoble, Diana Sherman, Kelly Bender, Jojo Chia, Ian Fun, Zachary M. Parris, Ken Williamson, Daniel Bingham, Jordan Lemos, Simon Mackenzie, Katelyn MacMullin, Susan Patrick, Alissa Ralph, Stephen Rhodes
- Team Lead Writer: Sam Gill
- AI Writers: Jonathan Flieger, Kimberly Ann Sparks
Batman: Enemy Within, Episode 5 — Same Stitch
- Lead Writer: James Windeler
- Written by: Meghan Thornton, Ross Beeley, Lauren Mee
- Story by: Meghan Thornton, Michael Kirkbride
God of War
- Written by: Matt Sophos, Richard Zangrande Gaubert, Cory Barlog
- Story and Narrative Design Lead: Matt Sophos
- Story and Narrative Design: Richard Zangrande Gaubert
- Narrative Design: Orion Walker, Adam Dolin
- Story Lead: Jon Paquette
- Writers: Benjamin Arfmann, Kelsey Beachum
- Co-Written by: Christos Gage
- Additional Story Contributions by: Dan Slott
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
- Narrative Designers: Alex Scokel, Eric Fenstermaker, Kate Dollarhyde, Megan Starks, Olivia Veras, Paul Kirsch
- Additional Writing: Tony Evans, John Schmautz, Casey Hollingshead, Nitai Poddar
- Narrative Design Leads: Carrie Patel, Josh Sawyer