The latest patch for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has arrived, and it’s a big one. Version 2.0.0 is available to download now, and the biggest piece of news is that it adds a new character: Piranha Plant. Everyone who registers their game by January 31 gets Piranha Plant for free, while the character will be available for everyone to buy at a later date. Here are instructions for how to register your copy of Smash Bros. Ultimate to get Piranha Plant for free.
For more on Piranha Plant, check out the announcement trailer above and a second video below. «Ready your flowerpots for battle with this poisonous powerhouse starting today!» Nintendo said.
Piranha Plant pipes up in #SmashBrosUltimate as a new playable fighter! Ready your flowerpots for battle with this poisonous powerhouse starting today! Piranha Plant is a free bonus for players who have registered Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and redeemed their code before 1/31. pic.twitter.com/qDDjHOJXbk
— Nintendo Versus (@NintendoVS) January 30, 2019
The new 2.0.0 patch makes a number of changes and improvements as well. Starting off, you can now play Spirit Board with up to four players; notably, you’ll the battle if anyone is knocked out. The patch also adds more spirits to the in-game shop, including Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee.
Elsewhere, the patch makes balance changes to many fighters; almost all of the characters got buffed in some capacity in ways like power increases and vulnerability decreases. You can see a full breakdown of the character-specific changes here on Nintendo’s website.
Beyond Piranha Plant, Nintendo will release five other DLC characters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the first of whom will be the aforementioned Joker. Each fighter will be released individually alongside a new stage and multiple music tracks for $6, but players can get all five at a discounted price through the $25 Fighters Pass.
Version 2.0.0 Patch Notes
You can now play Spirit Board with up to four players.
- Select the spirit you want to challenge on the Spirit Board, and then go to Party → Fighter to select the number of people who will play. When playing with multiple people, you will lose the battle if any player is KO’d.
The following spirits will now appear in the Shop.
- Partner Pikachu
- Partner Eevee
- Dice Block
- River Survival
- Golden Dash Mushroom
- You can now play Spirit Board with up to four players.
- We adjusted the calculation for Global Smash Power.
Added the DLC fighter Piranha Plant.
- Piranha Plant will become available for purchase as DLC at a later date.
- Pressing both jump buttons at the same time will now cause you to short hop.
- Fixed the issue where the KO score included your teammates’ KOs when Team Attack was On.
- Game-balance adjustments.
- Various gameplay fixes.
- Specific fighter adjustments are detailed here.
- Added the DLC fighter Piranha Plant.