Saudi authorities distanced themselves from an official video that sparked controversy after it branded feminism, homosexuality, and atheism as “extremist” ideas.
Saudi Arabia has long faced international criticism over its treatment of women File: Anadolu
Saudi Arabia‘s state security agency posted the animated video on Twitter last weekend at a time when de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) is seeking to open up the austere kingdom to foreign tourists and overhaul its ultra-conservative image.
The tweet has since been taken down.
The security agency said the video contained “many mistakes” and suggested that those behind it would face a formal investigation, according to a statement posted late on Tuesday by the official Saudi Press Agency.
It also rejected a report in Al-Watan, a local daily, that said feminists will be jailed and subject to flogging.
In a separate statement, the kingdom’s human rights commission stressed “feminism is not criminalised” and it accords “the utmost importance to women’s rights”.
The two statements made no mention of homosexuality or atheism, which are both illegal and punishable by death in the kingdom.
The video sparked criticism from rights campaigners with Amnesty International saying it was “extremely dangerous” and had “serious implications for the rights to freedom of expression and life, liberty and security in the country”.
Saudi Arabia has long faced international criticism over its treatment of women.
In August, Saudi Arabia also allowed women to obtain passports without seeking the approval of their “guardians” – fathers, husbands, or other male relatives.
The move – part of MBS’ plan to revamp the national image – ended a long-standing rule that prompted attempts by women to flee the kingdom.
But observers say loopholes still allow male relatives to curtail their movements and, in the worst cases, leave them marooned in prison-like shelters.
Alongside a string of pro-women reforms, Saudi authorities have also cracked down on female activists.
Nearly a dozen women campaigners, arrested just before the ban on women driving ended last year, are currently facing trials that have drawn criticism from Western governments.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies