16.04.2021

Blasts in Afghanistan mosque execute scores of worshippers

Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for Nangarhar’s governor, said at least 62 people had been killed by the explosions, which rocked the building  in the eastern province’s  Haska Mena district during Friday prayers.

A mass of worshippers have been killed and than 100 others wounded following multiple blasts in mosque in  Afghanistan ‘s Nangarhar province, according to local officials.

Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council in Nangarhar, told Reuters news agency that more than 100 others had been wounded in the incident and the death toll was likely to rise.

“The number of casualties may rise as the rescue team and people are working to bring out the bodies from the rubble,” Qaderi said.

Witnesses said the roof of the mosque had fallen through after the “loud” explosion.  Some 350 worshippers were inside at the time, local resident Omar Ghorzang told AFP.

Malik Mohammadi Gul Shinwari, a tribal elder from the area, said that the mosque had been destroyed.

“It was a heartbreaking scene I witnessed,” Shinwari told Reuters.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blasts, which Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, strongly condemned.

“The Afghan government strongly condemns today’s suicide attack in a mosque in Nangarhar province,” Sediqqi said in a post on Twitter.

“The Taliban and their partners heinous crimes continue to target civilians in time of worship,” he added.

But Suhail Shaheen, a spokesman for the Taliban, denied responsibility. ” All witnesses say it was a mortar attack by Kabul Adm. (Administration) forces,” he said in a tweet.

The blasts came a day after the United Nations said violence in Afghanistan had reached ” unacceptable inch levels.

Afghanistan

A volunteer carries some sort of injured youth to facility, following a bomb blast to be able to Haska Mina district together with Nangarhar Province on October 18, 2019 Noorullah Shirzada/ AFP

The numbers – 1, 174 dying, death and 3, 139 injured from July 1 just up until September 30 this year to represent a 42 per increase over the same period last year. More than 40 per of the casualties were females and children.

Ones UN laid the blame frequently at the feet of “anti-government elements” such as the Islamic Level of Iraq and the Élévateur (ISIL or ISIS) armed group and the Taliban, that is removed from power during a US-led invasion in 2001, actually it said it also acknowledged an alarming rise in casualties caused by pro-government forces.

Both ISIL the actual Taliban are active near Nangarhar province, with Slip security forces struggling to fight both groups after the United States and NATO officially finished their combat mission in the united kingdom four years ago.

Efforts to end Afghanistan’s 18-year-war have been stepped up last spring, with US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad visiting Pakistan beforehand this month to meet with the Taliban’s top negotiator, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar.

US officials had said Khalilzad was in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, to follow up on talks he held in September in New York with Pakistani officials, including Prime Minister Imran Khan.

They claimed Khalilzad was not in Pakistan to restart US-Taliban peacefulness talks, however.

The reaching was the first that Khalilzad has held with the Taliban since last month, when EVERYONE President Donald Trump made that the peace talks, including largely been held in Qatar, were “dead”.

He assigned an uptick in brutalité by the Taliban that consisted of the killing of a UNITED STATES soldier for the breakdown for negotiations.

SOURCE: Al Jazeera additionally news agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *