Retaining membership card, Babayev moved to Moscow and in the midst of restructuring took a job as a process engineer at the Cherkizovsky meat processing plant (CMPP). In just a year he went to the chair factory Director. And in the mid-1990s, took an active part in the privatization of the enterprise, buying with the family a controlling stake in the plant.
Babayev, who created the largest producer of raw meat in Russia, began his career at the canneries. A native of Makhachkala, he graduated from Krasnodar Polytechnic Institute, specialty “engineer-technologist” and settled at Essentuki canning plant. He then worked at the Anapa meat processing plant, and in 1978 he headed the Armavir cannery. Here Babayev has worked for eight years and left the factory with the scandal. He was fired in 1985 for bribing the Secretary of the regional party Committee. Babayev got lucky – he lost his job and left Armavir, but retained membership in the Communist party. How did he do it? In a personal conversation with the first Secretary of the party Committee Babayev recalled that he had raised the plant and improved production performance of Armavir. And also hinted that alleges extortion by the Secretary, if he will raise the issue of exclusion from the party. After that, the party Executive agreed with outstanding merit Babayev.
Even before the collapse of the Soviet Union Babayev started on factory reform. For example, increased salaries twice, but imposed a dismissal for drunkenness. “Then I appreciated all the equipment that was available, and concentrate is good, forced him to work 24 hours. And everything else just froze. Went process crazy growth,” he recalled Babaev in an interview with “the Secret”. The modernization of the production to fruition – from 1992 to 1995, revenues of the Cherkizovsky meat-packing plant has grown three times. The city authorities appreciated the efforts, and soon Babayev received from them in the management of Biruliovsky meat processing plant, agreeing on the right of priority of redemption of its shares. And then began to buy and remodel poultry and pig farms, combining them in 2005 in a group “Cherkizovo”.
As we started to form a family Empire? In the late 1980s Babayev was appointed the chief economist of the Cherkizovsky plant his wife Lydia Mikhailov. Then came the turn of a cousin of Naum Babaev – in the mid-1990s, 19-year-old young man came to the plant analyst to the early 2000s, he headed the poultry (known by the brand “Petelinka”).
In the early 2000s it was the turn of the younger generation. Sons Babayev, Sergey and Eugene, he studied first in Switzerland, then in the United States. The niece Lyudmila Babaeva, whom he raised as his own daughter, lived and studied in Canada. Growing up in the 1990s abroad, all three originally did not plan to link their fate with the family business. For example, Sergei even while studying at Georgetown University have created the Internet startup, which has invested tens of thousands of dollars of dad’s money.
The company in the period of the predictable collapse of the dot-com went bankrupt in 2001 with unsuccessful startups returned to Moscow. And led the block of meat “Cherkizovo”. Lyudmila, who worked as a financier in the American General Mills, engaged in the group Finance and eventually took the position of financial Director. Finally, Eugene in the first half of zero was working as an assistant Vice President at American telecommunications company aTelo, then a financial analyst at Morgan Stanley. But in 2004 he returned to Russia, received the post of first Deputy General Director of “APK Mikhailovsky” (the production structure of the holding “Cherkizovo”) and became responsible for the production of poultry and pork.
Sitting in Cherkizovo, both sons Babayev soon receive 25% of the shares of the holding company and were able to demonstrate what they have learned in European and American universities. They in 2006 brought Cherkizovo IPO on the London stock exchange. The placement was at the lower end of the price range, the company was valued at $904 million But Babayev was very proud of the accommodation, calling it “the biggest victory”.
In the same 2006 year, Sergey Mikhailov (both sons Babayeva are the name of the mother) became the General Director of “Cherkizovo”. And in 2016 Babayev lost to Yevgeny Mikhailov as Chairman of the Board of Directors. At the same time he is completely out of the group’s capital by transferring their shares to the family. “It was the moment when I realized that they the children is doing better than me, and without hesitation handed over the company in their hands, – Babayev explained his decision in an interview with RBC. – They are more conservative in business than I do, better believe money. And this is good: in the past, the market allows experiments now mistakes are expensive”.
Today Sergey and Evgeny Mikhailov is owned in 26.3% of the shares in Cherkizovo, Lidia Mikhailova – 29.5% of the shares, of which 15.1 per cent, transferred to the trust. Babayev and she divorced and now lives in Europe and the company is not involved.
A small proportion (0,3945% of the shares) is Lyudmila Mikhailova. Her husband Richard Sobel serves on the Board of Directors of “Cherkizovo”. Another member of the family – the wife of Sergey Mikhailov Anastasia – head of the PR Department. He Babayev lives abroad with his new wife and two children, and Russia come to rest on Altai the country.
Babayev still helps Cherkizovo, using his authority and connections. As he explained, between his sons and governors there is an age barrier, so the father to negotiate with the authorities easier. “I am the ideologist of the contacts with governors, my mentality is closer to them, explained Babayev once – Well, it is impossible without connections!” In December 2018, when the group “Cherkizovo” for 4.6 billion rubles bought the company “Altai broiler”, Babayev personally met with Governor of the Altai territory Viktor Tomenko. Apparently, a common language with the head of the region Babayev found summer “Cherkizovo” announced plans to invest in the development of Altai companies 3 billion rubles.
1. Gutseriyev, $5,65 billion
- Mikhail Gutseriev, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the group Safmar, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of NK “RussNeft”. The source of wealth: oil, coal, real estate, retail trade. Age: 61 years. Marital status, children: married, two children. City of residence: Moscow
- Said he(the son), member of the Board of Directors of the group Safmar, General Director NK “Forteinvest”. The source of wealth: oil, Finance, and retail trade. Age: 31 years. Marital status, children: married with a son. City of residence: Moscow
- Sait-Salam Gutseriev(brother), General Director of “Corporation A. N. D.”. The source of wealth: real estate, oil and retail trade. Age: 60 years. Marital status, children: married, five children. City of residence: Moscow
- Bilan Uzhakhov(nephew), General Director of “M. Video”. Source status: retail. Age: 32 years. Marital status, children: married, two children. City of residence: Moscow
The CLAN GUTSERIEV has kept the first place in the ranking of the richest families, but reduced the cumulative fortune of $320 million of Changes affected not only the amount of family capital, but also its structure. As the son of Mikhail Gutseriev said rose twice: the father in January 2019 handed him his stake in the Cyprus Landbury Trading, which owns 30.4% of the shares of the holding company “Safmar Financial investments”, which combines the financial assets of the family. In the spring of Safmar bought a controlling stake Afipsky refinery, modernization of which will said.
He was transferred to oil and coal assets of the group and share in the “Safmar retail” that have been previously owned by his uncle Sait-Salam. Brother of Mikhail Gutseriev has lost not only a share in those assets, but also seats in the Board of Directors of “RussNeft” in may, when elected a new Board, he recused himself. Nephew of Mikhail Gutseriev Bilan Uzhakhov owns 10% of shares of “M. Video” and is in this company as CEO. Leads a team of Safmar still himself Mikhail Gutseriev. In may, under the control of the father and the son of a Cypriot company increased from 2.12% to 18.9% stake in Kuzbass fuel company (CTC) – one of Russia’s largest producers and exporters of thermal coal.
2.Rothenberg, $5,18 billion
- Arkady Rotenberg, Chairman of the Board of Federation of hockey of Russia, the General Director of Fund “SKD “yawara-Neva”. The source States: industrial engineering, Finance. Age: 67 years. Marital status, children: divorced, five children. City of residence: Moscow
- Boris Rotenberg(brother), member of the Board of Directors of SMP Bank. Source state: Finance, oil service. Age: 62 years. Marital status, children: married, five children. City of residence: Moscow.
- Igor Rotenberg (son), the main owner of the company “Gazprom drilling”. Source status: oil service, real estate. Age: 46 years. Marital status, children: married, three children. City of residence: Moscow
- Lily Rothenberg(daughter), co-owner of TPS Real Estate. The source of wealth: real estate. Age: 41 years. Marital status: married. City of residence: Moscow
ROTENBERG remain in second place in the ranking of families in 2015. Your they have earned billions through contracts, “Gazprom” and other state orders, in particular the construction of the Kerch bridge, which cost 228 billion rubles. The largest orders continue offset friends of Putin the damage from international sanctions. Now the “Stroygazmontazh” Arkady Rotenberg in the Crimea there is a new project – the construction of a yacht Marina, for which the budget will be allocated 7.2 billion rubles. In July 2019 the company Mostotrest has won the tender for the construction of the North-East chord in Moscow for 52 billion.
Arkady in the sanctions list of the U.S. Treasury and the European Union in 2014. Under the us sanctions and his younger brother Boris, a Finnish citizen, and his son Igor (2018). The daughter of Arcadia Lily sanctions are not affected. She is in 2018 brother Igor managed to pass the family stake in TPS Real Estate. Lily had lived in Berlin her company Vitalis-medical was involved in the organization of treatment in Germany. Her husband, the media called businessman Eugene Romankevich, former Deputy CEO of OCE, the President of the company “Roteks”, which organizes exhibitions in Europe and the CIS.
3. Shaimieva, $2.8 billion
- Airat Shaimiev, General Director of “Tatavtodor”. The source of wealth: petrochemicals. Age: 57 years. Marital status, children: a son. City of residence: Kazan.
- Radik Shaimiev(brother), member of the Board of Directors of TAIF. The source of wealth: petrochemicals. Age: 54 years. Marital status, children: married, two children. City of residence: Kazan
- Timur Shaimiev (son), Director General of management company “Granat-Mill Group” (controls the oil company MNKT). The source of wealth: oil. Age: 30 years. Marital status, children: married. City of residence: Kazan
The SONS of the first President of the Republic of Tatarstan Radik and Airat not only retained its status as the richest people in the region, but also to increase their capital. For the year their combined wealth grew by $320 million to $2.8 billion Airat and Radik owns 19.5% of shares of TAIF group, one of the largest in Tatarstan. It includes the refinery “TAIF-NK”, petrochemical “Nizhnekamskneftekhim” and “Kazanorgsintez” and generating company “TGK-16”.
Also, the group owns football club “Rubin”, which is President in 2017, held Radik. The daughter of Camille Radik Shaimiev until may 2014 owned a 2% stake in the company, and until 2015 was part of the Board of Directors. “Too sensitive to tolerate all these public attacks”, she explained in an interview with Tatler decision to leave the family business. Now Camille is developing a medical online service Doc+. She serves on the Board of Directors of the distributor of liquefied natural gas “SG-trading” belonging AFK “System” Vladimir Yevtushenkov. Son Ayrat Timur manages a Small oil company of Tatarstan (MNCT), he owns a 30% stake in the company.
4. Gapontsev. $2 billion
- Valentin Gapontsev, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors of IPG Photonics. The source States: fiber lasers. Age: 80 years. Marital status, children: married with a son. City of residence: Worcester, mA, USA
- Denis Gapontsev(the son), a minority shareholder of IPG Photonics. The source States: fiber lasers. Age: 47 years. Marital status, children: divorced, a son. City of residence: Moscow
The FOUNDER of the world’s largest manufacturer of industrial lasers IPG Photonics Valentin Gapontsev this year marks 80 years. His son, having arrived from Moscow to Boston to the celebration, settled in the hotel and not in the parental home. The relationship between father and son for many years remain cool. Physicist, specialist in lasers Valentin Gapontsev started out in business in the Soviet Union, establishing a firm “IRE-Plus”. And the company IPG Photonics in the United States Gapontsev began to build together.
IPG Photonics was registered in 1998. Denis to 1999, he graduated from MIPT and Imperial College London, and went to the States to help his father. He has been with the company for eight years as Vice President for development. Over time, the views of father and son regarding the future of the company dispersed, and in 2008, Denis returned to Russia. He indirectly owns a package of approximately 2% of IPG Photonics stock on the stock exchange of almost $150 million portfolio investment, and business from former top-Manager of the American company was quite different: he became a partner of a company producing natural cosmetics in Eastern Zeitun, which was created by his Russian friends.
5. Evtushenkova, $1.94 billion
- Vladimir Yevtushenkov, Chairman of the Board of Directors of AFK “Sistema”. The source of wealth: Telecom, real estate, agribusiness, medicine, products for children. Age: 70 years. Marital status, children: married, two children. City of residence: Moscow
- Felix Evtushenkov(son), member of the Board of Directors of Sistema JSFC, Chairman of the Board of Directors of PJSC “MTS”. The source of wealth: Telecom, real estate, agribusiness, medicine, products for children. Age: 40 years. Marital status, children: married, four children. City of residence: Moscow.
The CHILDREN of the founder of Sistema Vladimir Yevtushenkov Tatiana and Felix initially had a career in the companies of the father. Tatiana has long worked in MTS, where as Vice President he was responsible for strategy and development, then about six years – Sberbank, Advisor to the Chairman of the Board. As investment officer, she is a partner in his father’s Fund Redline Capital. Felix was in AFK “System” the way from the specialist of the legal Department to first Vice-President.
“The experience was not enough, where was sent, and went there”, he said in an interview with Forbes about his appointment to the head. In June 2018 Vladimir Yevtushenkov gave his son a 2.5% stake in “the System”, and in November – the same amount, increasing its share to 5.18%. The proportion of the former President, member of the Board of Directors of AFK “Sistema” Mikhail Shamolin much smaller – 0.3% of the shares of the holding company, the current President Andrei Dubovskov – 0,024% of the shares. In June 2019, Felix became the Chairman of the Board of Directors of MTS. His wife Faith is also engaged in the business. She, together with Teimuraz Shengelia the former top-Manager of “Children’s world”, owned by Vesta Development. The company is building plot in the centre of Moscow, previously owned by “System”.
6. Rahimkulov, $1.89 billion
- Megdet Rakhimkulov, a Board member of Kafijat UK. The source of wealth: investments. Age: 73 years. Marital status, children: married, three children. City of residence: Moscow
- Timur Rakhimkulov(son), Board member of Kafijat UK. The source of wealth: investments. Age: 42 years. Marital status, children: n/A. City of residence: Budapest, Hungary
- Ruslan Rakhimkulov (son), Board member of Kafijat UK. The source of wealth: investments. Age: 40 years (son). Marital status, children: n/A. City of residence: Budapest, Hungary
FAMILY RAHIMKULOV acquired billionaire status thanks to long-standing relations of head of the family Megdet Rahimkulov with “Gazprom”. He began working in the Ministry of gas industry of the USSR in 1971. In 1989-1992 he was the General Director of “Gazexport” subsidiary company “Gazprom”. In 1994 his company “Interprokom” has become a co-founder of the Hungarian Panrusgas trader which is delivered to Hungary the production of “Gazprom”.
On the obtained from the sale of gas money Rakhimkulov bought shares of Hungarian companies. The main family asset today is a large stake in the Hungarian OTP Bank (7,22%). Investment funds Megget and his sons controls was in Budapest, the company Kafijat, which father owns 71.4% of the shares, and the sons of Timur and Ruslan – by 14.3%. Rahimkulov’s eldest son from his first marriage Rinat along with half-brothers is part of the Board of Kafijat, but share in its assets is not. In July 2019, the Hungarian press reported the purchase of a family of several hotels in Siofok on lake Balaton and their plans to build a large luxury hotel. Rahimkulov also belongs to Symbol Budapest – famous restaurant and night club in Óbuda.
7. Linnik, $1.6 billion
- Alexander Linnik, Chairman of the Board of Directors of ABH “Miratorg”. The source of wealth: agribusiness. Age: 51 years old. Marital status, children: married with a son. City of residence: Moscow
- Viktor Linnik (brother), the President of APH “Miratorg”. The source of wealth: agribusiness. Age: 51 years old. Marital status, children: married with a daughter. City of residence: Moscow
TWIN BROTHERS Alexander and Viktor Linnik founded the company “Miratorg” in 1995. At first it specialized in the import beef and pork from Latin America, but as time passed, and she started buying agricultural land in Kursk, Bryansk and Orel regions. Today Miratorg is the largest pork producer and one of the largest landowners in Russia. In the press the company of brothers Linnik often mentioned in connection with the Prime Minister’s wife Svetlana Medvedeva, mother’s maiden name which is also Linnik.
And in the “Miratorg”, the government alleged relationship was denied. Alexander and Viktor Linnik, behind the scenes and in the media, appear quite rare. About the personal life of the brothers also little known. In an interview with the relevant edition of “the Agroinvestor” Viktor Linnik told me that “agribusiness” is their only business. “This business takes up all our time. Spend time on other projects, where we have chances less than in the area where we are professionals, I think, is not necessary,” he said. One or two times a year, Victor is leaving with his family for one or two weeks to rest in Europe, the Seychelles or Brazil.
8. Sarkisov, $1.6 billion
- Sergey Sarkisov, co-owner of RESO. The source of wealth: insurance, real estate. Age: 60 years. Marital status, children: married, five children. City of residence: Monaco
- Nikolay Sarkisov, co-owner of RESO. The source of wealth: insurance, real estate. Age: 51 years (brother). Marital status, children: married, eight children. City of residence: Lyon
BROTHERS Sergey and Nikolay Sarkisov own group RESO, the main asset of which is one of the largest Russian insurance companies “RESO-the Guarantee”. For two, it owns a 60.6 percent stake in the company, another 36.7 per cent of shares of French investment and insurance group AXA, one of the largest in the world. In the Sarkisov ownership of many foreign real estate: 115 hectares of land in Monaco, three in Los Angeles, a mansion in London, a castle in France, etc.
In 2018, the brothers become involved in criminal proceedings in Ukraine: at the request of local businessman Leo Hlavica, which they in 2008, bought 33% of “Ukrinmedstrah”, Sarkisov was accused of fraud in especially large size. In July 2019, the case was closed for lack of evidence. The eldest son of Sergei Sarkisov Nikolay – Director, together with his father he owns US production company Blitz Production, which has already released two pictures. Sergey Sarkisov does movies not only in America but also in Russia. The ninth of may 2019 in a wide, rolling out the film “Paris!”. “For me it was a non-commercial project. This is my first big movie. The dream of every filmmaker to shoot a feature film,” – said Sarkisov in an interview with Forbes.
9. Bagaeva, $1,51 billion
- Musa Bazhayev, President of JSC “Group Alliance”. The source of wealth: precious metals. Age: 53 years. Marital status, children: married, four children. City of residence: Moscow
- Denis Bazhayev (nephew), co-owner of group “Russian platinum”. The source of wealth: precious metals. Age: 23 years. Marital status, children: married. City of residence: Moscow
- Mavlit Bazhaev (brother), CEO and co-owner of OOO “Group Policy”. The source of wealth: investments. Age: 69 years. Marital status, children: married, four children. City of residence: n/a
FAMILY BAZHAYEV in the fall of 2014, sold its oil company Alliance Oil an Independent oil and gas company Eduard Khudainatov, the former Rosneft President. After the sale of Musa Bazhaev and his nephew Danny, son of the founder of the “Group Alliance” Zia Bagaev, died in a plane crash in 2000, engaged in the precious metals. Their company “Russian platinum” is developing deposits of platinum in the Khabarovsk and Krasnoyarsk territories, in Krasnoyarsk, together with “Norilsk Nickel” Vladimir Potanin. “Russian platinum” built in Krasnoyarsk ice arena for 7,000 spectators and in may of 2018 donated it to the state property of Krasnoyarsk region.
From Musa Bagaeva nephew have another company – al “Altyn”, which is developing a gold Deposit Jerooy, the second largest in Kyrgyzstan. Mavlit Bazhaev after the sale of Alliance Oil is engaged in the investment separately from the younger brother and nephew. For this purpose he with his son Mansour now serves as “Group Policy”. And yet Bagaeva remain a family – for example, after the sale of Alliance Oil Moses, Mavlit and Denis together for €180 million bought in Sardinia luxury hotel Forte Village.
10. Mikhailov, for $1.16 billion
- Lydia Mikhailova, withvladelica of the Group. The source of wealth: agribusiness. Age: 61 years. Marital status, children: divorced, two children. City of residence: n/a
- Sergey Mikhailov(son), Director General of Cherkizovo Group. The source of wealth: agribusiness. Age: 41 years. Marital status, children: married with a son. City of residence: Moscow
- Yevgeny Mikhailov(son), Chairman of the Board of Directors of Group “Cherkizovo”. The source of wealth: agribusiness. Age: 37 years. Marital status, children: married with a son. City of residence: Moscow
- Ludmila Mikhailova (niece), financial Director of Group “Cherkizovo”. The source of wealth: agribusiness. Age: 43 years old marital status, children: married, two children. City of residence: Moscow
RUSSIA’s LARGEST meat producer, Cherkizovo Group is a classic example of the family business. Its founder, Igor Babaev, in 2006, entrusted the company to his eldest son, Sergei Mikhailov, the younger son Eugene then became Director of business development. In 2016, he headed the Board of Directors of “Cherkizovo” instead of the father. In the same 2016 Babayev completely out of the group’s capital by transferring their shares to the family. Today Sergey and Eugene owns 26.3% of actions “Cherkizovo”, the former wife of Babayev Lidia Mikhailova and 29.5% of the shares, including 15.1 per cent, transferred to the trust.
She lives in Europe and the company is not involved. A small proportion (0,3945% of the shares) have Ludmila Mikhailova, chief financial officer of the group, nieces Babayev. Her husband Richard Sobel serves on the Board of Directors of “Cherkizovo”. Another member of the family – the wife of the General Director Sergei Mikhailov Anastasia – head of the PR Department. Babayev lives abroad with his new wife and two children, comes to rest on Altai, to the country. He still helps the company, using his authority and connections. In December 2018, when the Cherkizovo group bought “Altai broiler”, Babayev met with the Governor of the region Victor Tomenko.