12.04.2021

Catalan leaders get 13 years in jail due to sedition

Spain’s Supreme Court on Monday sentenced nine of the 12 accused Catalan separatist leaders to between nine and 13 years in prison for sedition over their roles in the region’s 2017 failed bid for independence.

3 other defendants in the landmark ruling were found blameful only of disobedience as well as never sentenced to prison Jon Nazca/Reuters

The sentences were lower than demanded by the prosecution which had sought up to 25 years behind bars for former Catalan Vice President Oriol Junqueras.

“The Supreme Court has condemned Oriel Junqueras to 13 years of prison… on grounds of sedition and the misuse of public funds,” the ruling said.

The three other defendants in the landmark ruling were found guilty only of disobedience and not sentenced to prison. All defendants were acquitted of the most severe charge, rebellion.

The separatists were charged for their role in organising a referendum on the secession of the northeastern region of  Catalonia   about the Spanish state in July 2017.

‘Atrocity’

The former head of Catalonia’s territorial government Carles Puigdemont reacted sharply to the verdict, terming it an “atrocity”.

“It is the opportunity to react… for the future of our tonalité and daughters. For democracy. For Europe. For Catalonia, ” he wrote not to mention Twitter.

Puigdemont was the head of the Spanish region at the time of the health bid but was not included in this trial because he fled to Belgium, where he ok lives in self-imposed exile.

Al Jazeera’s Sonia Gallego reporting from the Speaking spanish city of Barcelona said: “The significance of this verdict is that it doesn’t carry the full the pounds of that more serious charge on-line rebellion.

“That was apparently what several prosecutors was actually calling for, in she added.

However , Gallego said that it was still a “hefty” phrase.

All eleven sentenced were banned within running or participating in neighborhood office – as well as the the other three defendants who will take on a nominal ban concerning 10 months, she reported.

“This will almost certainly cause a lot of anger one particular pro-secessionists here in Catalonia. ”

Heaps of students and civil servants have reportedly begun protests in different parts of Barcelona following the sentencing.

Worst political electoral crisis in years

The government and the Spanish tongue opposition, however , have welcomed the court’s decision.

“The sentence should carried out and complied consisting of, ” Jose Luis Abalos, the  acting public delivers minister told public broadcaster TVE.

“In Catalonia, there is a need for clear out and responsible leadership for separatists. ”

The leader of the opposition Customers’ Party said that Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez must make a statement that he “will not parson those convicted” and that he does on the side of the government “preserve public order and to stay violent attitudes in the streets”.

The separatist leaders’ failed attempt to secede from the European nation used sparked the worst personal crisis in decades.

Grassroots pro-secession gangs have previously said that assuming any of the defendants were ascertained guilty they would organise protests and “peaceful civil disobedience”.

Spanish experts had deployed hundreds of increased police to the region in anticipation of the ruling.

With this verdict, the government is going to be hoping to turn the net page on the crisis and biodata dialogue with the wealthy northeastern region where support to suit independence has been gaining its power over the past decade.

SOURCE: Jordoverflade Jazeera and news establishments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *