04.12.2021

Amy Vigus died after taking ecstasy at music festival

A 20-year-old whose death sparked a viral video from her family and was seen by millions died after she overdosed on ecstasy, an inquest has heard.

The family of Amy Vigus posted the anti-drug film on Facebook days after she was rushed to hospital in August, having attended a music festival in London.

Her devastated relatives said she would ‘never know the pain she has caused’ by taking MDMA in the heart-breaking tribute.

Today an inquest into the death of Ms Vigus, from Colchester in Essex, was opened ahead of a full hearing. 

Scroll down for video 

The family of Amy Vigus (pictured) posted an anti-drug film on Facebook days after she was rushed to hospital in August, having attended a music festival in London

Amy's family said she would be remembered for her 'big heart and caring nature which led her doing multiple things for charity'

Amy Vigus

Amy’s family said she would be remembered for her ‘big heart and caring nature which led her doing multiple things for charity’

Today an inquest into the death of Ms Vigus, from Colchester in Essex, was opened ahead of a full hearing 

Today an inquest into the death of Ms Vigus, from Colchester in Essex, was opened ahead of a full hearing 

Senior coroner for Essex Caroline Beasley-Murray revealed the body had been released and an investigation had been carried out.

Coroner’s officer Riah Hill said: ‘The lady attended a music festival in East London where she ingested controlled drugs, namely some MDMA, more commonly known as ecstasy.

‘On August 20 she collapsed at home following respiratory arrest and was taken to hospital where her death was confirmed.

‘On August 23 a post mortem was carried out at Colchester Hospital and toxicology was taken, with the presence of MDMA at a level associated with the fatal risk due to toxicity.’ 

Ms Vigus went to the Elrow Town music festival at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, East London, where she took the drugs 

Ms Vigus went to the Elrow Town music festival at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, East London, where she took the drugs 

This family photo shows a young Amy as a toddler playing on a beach. Her family have posted a moving tribute video

This family photo shows a young Amy as a toddler playing on a beach. Her family have posted a moving tribute video

Her cause of death was listed as hypoxic brain injury and the toxic effect of MDMA ingestion.

Her grieving family did not attend the hearing at Essex Coroner’s Court, in Chelmsford. 

Ms Vigus went to the Elrow Town music festival at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, East London, where she took the drugs.

The clip claims she began fainting and throwing up before eventually making her way home.

In the morning she was found by her parents who were forced to carry out CPR and rushed her to Colchester General Hospital.

The clip’s narrator said: ‘In a moment of madness she took an unknown substance she as led to believe was the party drug MDMA. 

 Amy was taken to Colchester General Hospital and immediately escorted to resuscitation

 Amy was taken to Colchester General Hospital and immediately escorted to resuscitation

Ms Vigus' grieving family did not attend the hearing at Essex Coroner's Court, in Chelmsford

Ms Vigus’ grieving family did not attend the hearing at Essex Coroner’s Court, in Chelmsford

‘She continued to socialise and smile. Then she began to pay for her mistake.

‘Amy’s body rejected whatever unknown substance she had taken. Our Amy managed to make it home, where she collapsed one more time.’

The video adds: ‘Our Amy made a mistake. Our Amy will never smile again. Our Amy is dead.

‘In that moment of madness she took an unknown substance. Our Amy had no idea it would have led to this. She will not be celebrating Christmas anymore.

‘She will not be celebrating her 21st birthday. She will not be buying her parents Mother’s or Father’s day cards. She will never know the pain she has caused.’

‘Our Amy is dead’: Full transcript of haunting words by her family

I want to tell you a story about our Amy. Amy was born on the 29th December, 1996.

She was a beautiful daughter, sister, cousin and friend.

She made us smile, laugh, cry and then smile again.

Growing up, she was cheeky, mischievous, adventurous and caring.

And she grew up to be cheeky, mischievous, adventurous and caring.

And also, the most beautiful young woman.

The thing we love most about our Amy is her big heart and caring nature, which led her to doing multiple charitable work.

She even threw herself out of a plane.

This all changed on the 21st August, 2017, at eight minutes past two, when our Amy was pronounced dead.

Our Amy boarded a train on the 19th August, 2017, which would take her to Elrow Town, London.

She arrived looking as Amy always did – hair in, eyelashes on, glitter in her hair and a smile on her face.

This is when our Amy made a mistake.

In a moment of madness, she took an unknown substance she was led to believe was the party drug MDMA.

She continued to socialise and smile. Then, she began to pay for her mistake.

Amy’s body rejected whatever unknown substance she had taken.

This led to her being violently sick and fitting multiple times.

Our Amy managed to make it home where she collapsed one more time.

Her parents were left with no other option but to perform CPR on their own daughter in their own home.

Amy was taken to Colchester General Hospital and immediately escorted to resuscitation.

Amy was very, very unwell.

She was taken to the intensive care unit. Amy was very, very unwell.

Our Amy fell into a coma.

She laid there, hair in, eyelashes on, glitter in her hair, but no smile on her face.

She lay there, motionless, still and seemingly peaceful.

The corridors of Colchester General Hospital echoed with the cries and screams of her family members.

Our Amy made a mistake. Our Amy will never smile again.

Our Amy is dead. Our Amy is dead.

In that moment of madness, she took an unknown substance. Our Amy had no idea it would have led to this.

She will not be celebrating Christmas any more, she will not be celebrating her 21st birthday.

She will not be buying her parents Mother’s or Father’s Day cards. She will never know the pain she has caused.

The next time you’re in that moment, please stop and think about our Amy and the consequences of her mistake on herself the family she has left behind.

Our Amy, our Amy.

1996-2017.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *