First, as to box office: Endgame has already blasted through the $100 million mark on opening day in China. Plenty of movies never even close in on that mark after years in worldwide distribution.
«An epic end chapter that closes a legacy in the best way, living up to the lofty expectations.»
Here’s what you need to know before you fight the hordes pouring into movie theaters when Avengers: Endgame premieres at the end of the week: It’s really, really good.
It’s so long it should have an intermission (three hours and one minute), yes, but good. The critical consensus so far as well as early box office numbers all point to a potentially record-setting blockbuster.
Then there are quotes from critics as collected at Rotten Tomatoes, which has Endgame at 97 percent «fresh.»
A small sample:
- «Endgame mostly sticks the landing with a satisfying conclusion, providing a final act to the Marvel Cinematic Universe that emotionally resonates in surprising ways.» – The Daily Dot.
- «The Return Of The King of superhero movies. An epic end chapter that closes a legacy in the best way, living up to the lofty expectations.» – Australia’s ABC Radio.
- «Directors Anthony and Joe Russo have somehow crafted a coherent and exhilarating epic that incorporates all your favorite superheroes (and many of their loved ones) in one emotionally resonant package.» – US Weekly.
- «Even at three-plus hours, the gargantuan Avengers: Endgame is light on its feet and more freely inventive than it needed to be.» – Vulture.
- «Oh yes indeed. Avengers: Endgame brought it.» – Seattle Times.
Tweets from fans lucky enough to see early previews back up the critics’ words.
Okay, enough already. It’s good, we get it.
So head down to the camping supply store, get your tent, and start staking out your local theater today. This is apparently the must-see movie of the year.