Counterfeit bills were attacked by Russian ATMs. Last week, the US manufacturer of devices for checking banknotes NCR warned of a massive im injection of fakes with a face value of 5 thousand rubles. And although the “candy wrappers” were only in the old apparatus, the program of which can not recognize the lime note, the news caused serious concern to the public. In particular, some banks suspended for a while the acceptance of large bills in their ATMs, and the store cashiers began to refuse to accept them. How to distinguish a genuine banknote from a fake and what to do if a fake got into your wallet? On these and other questions of our readers during the direct line in the “MK” answered the head of the banking section of the Finpotrebsoyuz Mikhail Belyaev.
“Do not give up your good habit of checking the change.” Do not hesitate to also check all the money that you receive from another source. In occasion of your fears concerning ATMs: indeed, there are certain cases when fake bills enter the device. But the risk of getting them back from the ATM is minimal. The fact is that tapes that accept money, and those tapes that issue money, are different tanks. If the ATM has accepted a counterfeit banknote without recognizing it, it will not automatically go back. She gets into the cassette for the issuance of money only after the accounting procedure has passed, a check for authenticity at the checkout. Thus, the risk of getting a counterfeit bill from an ATM is close to zero.
– The most incorrect step – to try to pay this bill in some other store. Do not be lazy and reach the nearest bank – anyone! – and there check the banknote for authenticity. The procedure is regulated. The employee of the credit organization will issue a certificate stating that the bill was accepted for examination, and within five days the bank will announce its verdict. If the banknote is real, then it will be returned to you. If the same note turns out to be false, then it is withdrawn without any compensation, there’s nothing to count on. The banknote is stamped with a bank “in exchange denied” or “fake”. Then a seizure protocol is drawn up, and a money sign is taken away. On this story with the banknote ends.
– Can the massive import of counterfeit bills somehow affect the economy of the country? For example, lead to an increase in prices?
– These fears are completely unfounded. The monetary turnover is estimated in billions of rubles, and counterfeit banknotes are piece, and they can not exert any influence. However, the throwing of counterfeit banknotes certainly brings nervousness into the ranks of consumers. In particular, the recent history of ATMs has received a wide and negative response. However, the manufacture of counterfeit money by a single-sided craftsman, even if made at the highest level, is still very limited and can not last for long. Such injections, as a rule, are stopped quite quickly. Therefore, even if the trust of citizens to banks is undermined, then for a short time.
– They say that they often forge 5,000 bills. What are the main features that can distinguish a genuine bill from a fake? How long will it take?
– Take the time and spend at least two or three minutes to carefully consider the bill. What exactly is necessary to watch? Pay attention to the overflowing coat of arms of Khabarovsk. When the banknote is tilted, a bright shiny strip rolls over it. Consider an additional watermark – a portrait of NN Murav’ev-Amursky. Carefully study the iridescent protective thread on the front side of the bill. If you tilt the banknote, individual figures in the number of 5000 “danced”. Red and green moiré stripes on a monophonic field are noticeable when tilted. Below the coat of arms of Khabarovsk, you can see rows of micro-holes in the form of a number of 5000. The relief strokes along the edges and the convex emblem of the Bank of Russia are also felt. And if you look closely at the serial number of the banknote, you can see that the numbers are gradually increasing from left to right. Do not hesitate to check the bill.
– I read that new banknotes in denominations of 2000 and 200 rubles can not be falsified. Is this really so or is it all a rumor?
– It is extremely difficult to forge them. But how many times have we experienced those cases when the bills were considered unfinished, and then they found themselves in a series of false ones. In occasion of 200 rubles you can be calm. For counterfeiters these banknotes are uninteresting, since a small denomination does not “weld” much.
– What to do, if it turns out that the bill turned out to be fake when it is paid in the store? What is the punishment in this case and how can you prove your innocence?
– We have art. 186 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation “Manufacturing, storage, transportation or sale of counterfeit money or securities”. According to it, a penalty of imprisonment of up to 15 years is provided. Under the law, the cashier of the store is obliged to call the police, security, who immediately arrest the bill. Then the procedure begins to establish your attitude to the counterfeit bill. Do not think that the law enforcement agencies are solid monsters, who only dream of planting you. It is enough for them to come to your home and see that you do not have a printing press, find out that you are not connected with criminal groups, and this story, naturally, will not have any consequences for you. The criminal case will be closed for lack of corpus delicti. Another thing is, if you tried to pay off a bundle of counterfeit money: then the procedure can be a long one,
– How do they deal with such situations abroad? I heard that punishment is much more serious than in our country.
– The monetary circulation of the country is a “sacred cow”, which is directly connected with the economic stability of the state. Abroad, to make and sell counterfeit money, too, are taken seriously. Although 15 years of imprisonment under our Criminal Code is quite a serious penalty, and it is unlikely that it is tougher in Western countries. I know that Western countries are wary of accepting large denominations. Therefore, in Europe and the United States, cashless settlement is developed.
– For example, in Germany, if you pay with a counterfeit note, you are fined. That is, he himself is to blame for not having noticed. Is this fair? And what is the practice in Russia?
– As a rule, scammers falsify large denominations. The fact that the labor of malefactors in the manufacture of counterfeit banknotes is the same, but to forge a five thousandth note is much more profitable. If fraudsters plan to forge counterfeits in an ATM, they often do not even bother to make bills outwardly similar. And put only those tags, which reacts to the device. But it must be remembered that this money can not be immediately given to a person. They will first pass the procedure of authenticity. In Russia, there is a practice: if you change fake rubles, then in this case the bank withdraws this money. If you are trying to do the same procedure with counterfeit money through a foreign bank, you can be fined there.
– Does every bank have to accept fake and dilapidated bills for exchange and do it for free? When I applied for this, I was refused several times. Either they offered to exchange with the commission: they take my 1000 rubles, but they return only 900 rubles, 100 rubles is a fee “for dilapidation”. Is it legal? And if not, how do you get banks to accept banknotes?
– First: fines, penalties and any other deductions from the credit organization are illegal. Second: banknotes are required to accept all banking institutions. If you are denied, then in this case it is necessary to refer to Chapter 16 of Regulation No. 318 of the Central Bank “On the Procedure for Conducting Cash Operations and Rules for the Storage of Transportation and Encashment of Banknotes”. According to this provision of the Central Bank, all credit institutions are required to accept banknotes for exchange, with no penalties or interest.
In total, 45313 fakes were revealed last year. 26948 (60%) is a five thousandth note. 17218 (38%) – thousandth. All the rest are banknotes of a lower denomination. Including six ten-ruble.
In general, the amount of false Russian money for the past year was less by 25%, and foreign – by 1.7 times.
Foreign currencies most often falsify US dollars in Russia. Of 2590 counterfeit notes, 2343 dollars. The non-existent euros identified 194 denominations, 46 counterfeits of Chinese yuan, six – British pounds and one Japanese yen.