Experts of the architectural and urban planning council of the Novosibirsk mayor’s office were presented with the concept of an unusual project: they want to build the first private student campus in the city in the Left Bank.
It may appear within a few minutes walk from Marx Square and relatively close to two large universities – SSGA and NETI: at the corner of Titov and Serafimovich streets.
Liza Pichugina found out what the new student housing should be like and why the experts had a lot of questions about it.
Instead of a long-term construction near Marx Square, it was proposed to build a campus for students
On Titov Street, at the corner with Serafimovich Street, it was proposed to build a student campus. On Wednesday, March 3, the chief architect of the KiF studio, Valery Filippov, presented the concept (not a finished project – this was the meeting participants emphasized several times) of an unusual special housing for discussion by the Presidium of the City Council of the Novosibirsk Mayor’s Office.
The architect proposed to support the height and general style of this part of the Leninsky District: Stanislavsky Street is located a block from the construction site, which is half of architectural monuments.
– In the Leninsky district there are two streets that are the streets of the new, post-war social city: Stanislavsky Street and Titov Street. One street is good, the other is bad, – Valery Filippov explained. – Stanislavsky Street is a street with a continuous building front of that time, 1950s. This street does not have such a loose structure as Titova Street, already in red lines and has a height of the eaves of residential buildings of 5-6-7 floors – higher than the eaves of Titov Street. Titova Street is partly built up with Stalinist architecture, partly with Khrushchevs, and on the section from Serafimovich Street to Kostychev Street there is no building at all.
The project should be multifunctional: in addition to the actual housing for temporary rent, it has planned a coworking, a canteen, a laundry and other services that students and residents of neighboring quarters may need
Now the territory looks like this: the decision to separate, cut and rent out the green strip in front of the hospital was made by the authorities about 10 years ago.
According to the concept, the first line of Titov on this segment is proposed to be stylized as Stalinist buildings, retaining the total height of 5 floors, and to move two towers with a height of about 12 floors to the background – however, this will depend on the density of the building. At the same time, the architect believes that it is necessary to build new buildings close to the sidewalks – including in neighboring areas, where today a one-story pool and a building of a pension fund are planned.
– It seems to me that Titova Street as one of the central streets of the city of Novosibirsk should acquire some kind of finished look, and in order for this view to appear, it is necessary to make the same type of building along the entire length of the street in the same style, the same height and always with zero offset from the red line, – emphasized Valery Filippov. This idea was generally supported by all the participants in the meeting.
The developer, Formula Real Estate, wants to build here a multifunctional student campus for 300 single and double rooms with built-in infrastructure, explained the co-owner of the company Nikolai Surkov. He noted that two large universities are located relatively close: NETI and SSGA, whose students lack high-quality and inexpensive housing within walking distance. The developer added that relevant agreements have already been signed with universities.
– I know for sure that students today are able to pay 9-10 thousand rubles a month for a normal room. For example, I came to study for graduate school – where should I live? Buy an apartment? Marx has something freshly built within a radius of 500 m – only on Gorsky. And if he needs to live for a month or two, should he rent a hotel? This is the answer to the question where our economic idea came from, – he told the NGS correspondent.
Formula Real Estate is owned by Alexander Dinges (51%), Nikolai Surkov (25%) and the well-known developer and founder of the Meta group, Vladimir Martynenkov (24%). Alexander Dinges, together with the head of the Technopark Dmitry Verkhovod and Vera Sorokina, will co-own the Dorsib Engineering company. Nikolai Surkov is a former member of the Legislative Assembly. Together with Vladimir Martynenkov, he, in particular, owns the Topatomklinik company, which participates in the construction of a PET center in Novosibirsk.
An unfinished office building has been on the site for two years now. Nikolai Surkov says that he is ready to complete it and hand it over in this form, but the public and he himself are not satisfied with it
The development area is a plot next to the complex of buildings of the City Clinical Hospital No. 34 on Titova, 18. In 2018, an administrative building began to be built here, in which it was planned to open a supermarket of the Lenta chain, but the construction was never completed.
Today there is a structure made of sandwich panels, which is framed as an unfinished project. It, together with a valid building permit and the right to lease land, was purchased by Formula Nedvizhimost.
– Many said: there is a square. What a square there! – says Nikolay Surkov about the site. – When I went there, there was a garbage dump: syringes, bottles, flasks, homeless people lived in boxes, dogs – chaos. In the center of the left bank, 300 m from the Marx square. I don’t know who liked it.
The adjacent plot was leased for the construction of a swimming pool, a building of a pension fund should appear on the territory at the corner with Kostycheva Street, but the architect insists that the development of the first line of Titova Street should be in the same style and at the same level – both in indentation and in height
However, the claims of the participants were not at all related to the development in the green zone – they drew attention to the fact that the site belongs to the health care zone. Formally, the project involves the construction of a hotel, and according to the documents, there is such an opportunity in the conditionally permitted types of land use. But the commission for the preparation of the PZZ “Formula of real estate” in it was refused.
– You have now proposed to the town planning council to consider a completely new object, which, according to the logic of things, should not be there in terms of zoning, – said Nikolay Tyamin, a deputy of the City Council. When the unfinished building, which was supposed to become the Lenta store, was being built, the deputy also represented the Leninsky district, but he does not understand how the authorities allowed the appearance of an administrative long-term construction in the health care zone.
– The health care zone implies the construction of other facilities. We believe that the student campus cannot interfere with anything there, – Nikolai Surkov counters. – If you think that there should be a healthcare facility, and if there is a worthy investor who is ready to interact with us and fill this space with healthcare facilities and medical services, we are not against working in this direction. But at the moment we have found for ourselves only such a solution.
The chief architect of the city, Alexander Lozhkin, in turn, recalled that this and two neighboring sites were “cut off” from the territory of the hospital when it was transferred under the responsibility of the regional Ministry of Health, and the municipality decided to lease them.
– The site now has copyright holders, whose rights the law protects in exactly the same way as the rights of citizens. We must also bear this in mind, ”he stressed.
– If someone – the public, architecture, the owner – has a different idea of what should be there, let’s discuss this issue, – added Nikolai Surkov in turn.
As an option, Valery Filippov developed a concept of the facade that is different in style – some participants of the city council liked it even more than the main one
At the same time, Alexander Lozhkin said that the initiative to build private campuses today is relevant not only in Novosibirsk, and it is supported at the federal level. In particular, VEB has a program to finance the construction of commercial campuses, such projects today, according to the chief architect, are being considered by NSU.
However, the deputy head of the department of architecture and urban planning of the regional Ministry of Construction Sergey Novokshonov doubted that the final function could be controlled. It is assumed that apartments in the future campus can be bought and then rented out – they can be transferred to the management of an organization that will manage all premises on the campus. But it is impossible to oblige the owners to dispose of them in this way.
– I am embarrassed that the restrictions that will be laid down for this functionality are not spelled out. To what extent will it be possible to track this and leave it within this framework? The presented project works under the same set of conditions that were stated. But if suddenly something suddenly changes, it turns out that they have made a problem again, ” he said. – The proposed circumstances indicate that the function is given here specific. How to regulate it is still a mystery to me.
The developer and architects today have two important tasks. First, to finalize the concept, extending it to the width of the entire block and working out the general layout of the territory. Secondly, to obtain the necessary conditionally permitted type of land use. Nikolai Surkov, in a conversation with an NGS correspondent, said that if the mayor signs a refusal, he is ready to challenge it in court.
The construction of official student residences is the task of the authorities. Now there are two such projects in the city: one hostel is being built for NSUEU, the other is planned for NETI.
Apartments as a housing format are still in limbo: at the end of last year, the Federal Ministry of Construction decided to ban them, but later abandoned such a radical idea, offering to finally register a clear legal status for them.