UK announces sanctions on Myanmar coup generals for ‘violations of human rights’

The UK government has imposed sanctions on senior generals in the Myanmar administration following the military coup. The country has put in place travel bans and asset freezes on three key figures in the military regime in response to human rights violations.

Further safeguards have also been put in place to prevent UK aid money indirectly supporting the military government.

It comes after Myanmar’s elected leader Ms Suu Kyi and members of her government were detained as the military took over in a coup.

The UK has repeatedly called for the release of Ms Suu Kyi, who has been kept under house arrest and charged with minor offences relating to the alleged importation of walkie-talkies without the proper licence and for shaking hands during the coronavirus pandemic.

“The UK condemns the military coup and the arbitrary detention of Aung San Suu Kyi and other political figures,” Dominic Raab, the British foreign secretary, said.

“We, alongside our international allies will hold the Myanmar military to account for their violations of human rights and pursue justice for the Myanmar people.”

The sanctions will be imposed on defence minister General Mya Tun Oo, home affairs minister Lt General Soe Htut and deputy home affairs minister Lt General Than Hlaing.

he new measures come on top of existing sanctions for 16 other individuals from the Myanmar military.

It comes a day after Prime Minister Boris Johnson repeated his call for the release of Ms Suu Kyi and called fresh charges brought against her “fabricated.”

Mr Johnson tweeted: “New charges against Aung San Suu Kyi fabricated by the Myanmar military are a clear violation of her human rights.

“We stand with the people of Myanmar and will ensure those responsible for this coup are held to account.”

Protesters have turned out in droves since the coup was carried out, defying an order banning gatherings of five or more people to demand the return of democracy.

The new sanctions were announced as protesters returned to the streets of Myanmar on Thursday after a night of armed intimidation by security forces in Mandalay, the country’s second biggest city.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *