Protests resume in Tbilisi

In Tbilisi, on June 11, brawls between protesters and the police occurred after the dismantling of the tents of protesters on Rustaveli Avenue and the detention of protesters, including the leader of the opposition party United National Movement (UNM) Nick Melia.

Several protest tents on central avenue appeared the day before. In the afternoon, the police took them apart. As a result of the confrontation, several people were detained, including Member of Parliament Nika Melia, local MP Irakli Mdinaradze and others.

At the same time, the Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs claims that the leader of the UNM and the Georgian parliament deputy, Nika Melia, did not stop.

Now the opposition movement Mikheil Saakashvili has announced larger-scale actions.

Recall, on May 31, mass protests began in Tbilisi against an unfair, according to activists, investigation into the murder of two teenage boys.

The father of one of the victims, Zaza Saralidze, accused the prosecutor’s office of bias and harboring the murderers, whom, in his opinion, were covered by influential relatives. He called on society and all political forces in the country to join the protest.

Protesters demanded the resignation of the government and the Prosecutor General of Georgia. As a result, Attorney General Irakli Shotadze resigned. Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said that he would not comply with the demand of the protesters.

South Sudan Signs Long-Term Peace Agreement

The President of the youngest African country and the rebel leader agreed on a ceasefire in both sides of the conflict in the Sudanese capital. South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Mashar signed a ceasefire at a ceremony in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on Wednesday, June 27. This arrangement “will enter into force within 72 hours,” said Sudan’s Foreign Minister, Mohammed Ahmed.

According to him, the agreement consists of six points and provides, in particular, the release of prisoners of war.

Mediator – President of Sudan

Negotiations between the conflicting parties of South Sudan took place over the past few days in Khartoum, mediated by Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir. As dpa notes, earlier parties to the South Sudanese conflict had already concluded armistice agreements, but then violated them.

Armed conflict in the youngest African country erupted at the end of 2013 after President Salva Kiir of the Dinka fired Nuer Vice President Rijek Mashar for attempting a coup. Since the start of the civil war, tens of thousands of people have died, about four million have fled. South Sudan seceded from Sudan in 2011.

The authorities of Germany in absentia arrested the organizer of the attack at the Christmas market

According to German media, Germany has identified the potential accomplice of a terrorist who staged an attack at the Christmas market in Berlin. The investigation has a warrant for his arrest. The German Federal Supreme Court issued a warrant for the arrest of a 32-year-old Tunisian citizen who is suspected of assisting Anis Amri, who committed a terrorist attack at the Christmas market in Berlin in December 2016. On Thursday, July 5, German media reported, citing sources in court.

According to media reports, the suspect was charged in absentia with complicity in the murder and membership in a terrorist organization. According to the German dpa agency, the German prosecutor’s office declined to give official comments.

In 2015, the crime suspect left Tunisia for Libya, where he joined the Islamic State terrorist group. What position he occupied in the organization of militants is unknown. According to the investigation, in 2016, the Tunisian became a mentor to Anis Amri, could send him instructions and push him to organize a terrorist attack. The media say that now the suspect is most likely in Libya.

On December 19, 2016, Anis Amri, a native of Tunisia, directed a truck into a crowd of people, as a result of which more than 10 people were killed and about 50 were injured. Four days later, a terrorist was killed in Milan during an exchange of fire with police officers. As it became known later, Amri ended up in Germany after arriving in Italy on a boat with refugees. Journalists at Welt am Sonntag found out that even before arriving in Italy in April 2011, Amri had close ties with fighters and leaders of the Islamic State terrorist group in Libya, which Tunisian intelligence knew about.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.